Canonical delivers open source to the world faster, more securely, and more cost-effectively than any other company. We develop Ubuntu, the world’s most popular enterprise Linux from cloud to edge, together with a passionate global community of 200,000 contributors. Ubuntu means ‘humanity to others. We chose it because it embodies the generosity at the heart of open source, the new normal for platforms and innovation. Together with a community of 200,000, we publish an operating system that runs from the tiny connected devices up to the world’s biggest mainframes, the platform that everybody uses on the public cloud, and the workstation experience of the world’s most productive developers. Secure and reliable, elegant and intuitive, and open for innovation – Ubuntu is the future of open source, which is why it’s the fastest-growing Linux in the world despite already being the most widely deployed.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Golang System Software Engineer – Containers / Virtualisation
- We are hiring a Golang software engineer to work on the low level Go codebase sitting between our REST API and the low-level C libraries used to manage containers and virtual machines.
- We are looking for system-level developers with experience in design and data management/modeling.
- The LXD team is responsible for the design, development, and evolution of LXD, a modern system container and virtual machine manager that is widely used on Ubuntu, ChromeOS, and other Linux platforms. LXD components span the entire software stack from low-level kernel features to the upper-level management REST API and CLI.
- This is an opportunity for someone who wants to have a meaningful impact on modern cloud computing technologies. Canonical offers a fun, fast-paced team environment and a career full of learning and development.
What You Will Do
- Design, implement, and document system-level Go code
- Model data, design database schemas and implement data storage in a dqlite (SQL) database
- Maintain code quality through static analysis, unit and system tests
- Collaborate proactively with a distributed team
- Discuss ideas and collaborate on finding good solutions
- Work from home with global travel for 2 to 4 weeks/year for internal and external events
Who You Are
- You have a Bachelor’s or equivalent in Computer Science, STEM, or a similar Degree
- You have experience programming in Go and C
- You are knowledgeable in networking and storage technologies
- You have experience with two or more cloud computing, virtualization, containers, distributed systems, open-source community
- You are curious, flexible, articulate, and accountable
- You value soft skills and are enterprising, thoughtful, and self-motivated
Application Closing Date
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should: